CentreCyclopediaOld Main


To relieve the overcrowding that occurred following World War II and the influx of students to Centre under the GI Bill, several temporary units were constructed to house the men and, in some cases, their families. In 1946 the Federal Public Housing Authority moved fourteen buildings to Centre from Camp McCain, Greenada, Mississippi, where they had been used during the war as Army barracks. They were torn down at Camp McCain, moved by truck to Danville, and reassembled on site. Each building would accomodate 16 men.