CentreCyclopediaOld Main

Combs Student Center

Built: 1902, renovated in 1994

Named For: Leslie L. Combs II, Class of 1925

Architect: Maclachlan, Cornelius, & Filoni (renovation)

Cost: $2,000,000

Size: 16,000 square feet

In 1902, George Cogar built what is now known as "the Warehouse" to store and process hemp and grain grown by local farmers. By 1914, Banks Hudson owned the building, continuing to store grain and hemp there. After Hudson's death, Norris Armstrong, Sr., and his son owned the building, selling it to H.T. Gibson in the early 1960's. The Gibson family operated a grocery wholesale business from the buildings behind the warehouse, using part of the warehouse itself for offices, and renting out the remainder as storage space. In 1994 the Gibsons sold the building to Centre College, which completed renovated the old building. With the completion of the Campus Center in 2009, all offices and student services were moved to the new location.