CentreCyclopediaOld Main


Main Street

The Archibald Bilbo survey in 1819 named the "south side of Main Street when extended" as the northern boundary of the original campus. It largely remained so until the 1960's when the college acquired several pieces of property laying along and behind the north side of Main Street for the construction of the new women's residence halls.

Walnut Street

Archibald Bilbo's 1819 survey named the "North side of back street when extended" the southern boundary of the original college campus. In the 1860's the college purchased land laying south of Walnut Street to expand the campus. With the construction of Sayre Library in 1862 and Old Main in 1871, the college first faced the problem of a main east-west city street running through the heart of campus. In 1897 the college asked the city to repeal an ordinance that allowed the sale of livestock on Walnut Street in front of the college. As part of a general campus improvement plan, President William C. Roberts made an unsuccessful proposal to the city of Danville in 1899 to close Walnut in exchange for another street towards the rear of campus. For much of the twentieth century, Walnut Street between Maple Avenue and the railroad tracks remained a residential and commercial mixture. As late as 1977 the area included a service station, barber shop, furniture store, warehouses, several private homes, and the Coffee Cup restaurant, a long-time favorite of students. In the 1980's Centre began buying property along this section of Walnut for the construction of Bingham Hall and Greek Park. In _____ President Michael F. Adams again proposed closing the street. Although the city opposed this action, it did allow the college to prohibit parking from that part of Walnut running through campus.

College Street

Maple Avenue

In 1838 the college purchased a portion of ground lying "between the College property & street in the rear." It is unclear whether the "street in the rear" was an early version of today's Maple Avenue or another street.

Green Street

In 1867 the Board of Trustees reached an agreement with the town of Danville that in exchange for the college paying the cost of improving Walnut Street from the Christian Church west, the town would not extend Green Street through the campus, and would relinquish their right to do so in the future.

Russel Street

In 1898 the college deeded to the city of Danville the land to extend Russel Street west through the campus, providing the city would fence the street and pay all expenses. The street was extended to the newly opened Beatty Avenue in 1906.

Beatty Avenue

Beatty Avenue was opened in 1906