CentreCyclopediaOld Main

Sutcliffe HallSutcliffe Hall

Date Built: 1962

Named For: Mr. and Mrs. Elbert G. Sutcliffe

Architect: Murphey and Mackey

Current Use: intercollegiate, intramural, recreation, and fitness activity

In 1962 Boyle-Humphrey Alumni Gymnasium was renovated and expanded, with the building taking on a new name as Sutcliffe Hall in honor of Elbert G. Sutcliffe, chair of the Board of Trustees. The original gym, which had been used as an auxilliary gym since the addition of a larger gymnasium in 1950, was converted into a ballroom. In 1980 a $2.6 million expansion increased the size of the building by over 50 per cent. Most of the original 1915 structure of Boyle-Humphrey Alumni Gymnasium was demolished as part of the 2004-2005 renovation and expansion of Sutcliffe Hall.

Sutcliffe HallToday Sutcliffe contains three gymnasiums, four racquetball courts, two fitness rooms including the Buck Fitness Center, an athletic training room, an aerobics studio, seven locker rooms, coaches offices, the offices of the Directors of Athletics and Recreation, and the Hall of Fame Cafe.